Middle Ages Section 2
What were the different ways of living?
- Depended on where they lived
- Middle ages 476 AD-1500’s
- Lives of townspeople were different from nobles or
- Depended on climate
Where was the manor?
- A manor was a farm or estate
- A king or queen had many different farms
- Fiefs had many manors
- The royal household moved around a lot because they
needed so many things
How was life as a serf?
- Peasants who worked on farms were serfs.
- Manos were divided into fields, fields into strips
- Serfs usually lived on the manor their whole life
- Serfs gave food to the owner of land
How was life in the city?
- Cities were crowded and dirty
- Peoples names usually told their trade
- Buildings were close together and very little sunlight
entered the streets
- Goods were sold in the shop they were made in
Did guilds regulate business?
- A person with a trade belonged to a trade guild
- Guilds controlled rules for trade, this is
- Artesian-masters taught apprentices
- A middle level trades person was a journeyman
What was the life of a monk about?
- Religion was very big
- Had religion communities
- Mink houses were monasteries
- Had to obey abbot or head of monastery
- Nuns lived in covenant
What was the “War for The Cross?”
- It was a crusade to take back the Holy
Land from Muslims
- The battle cry was “It is the will of God”
- The symbol was a cross sown on clothing
- Thousands of men and women joined the crusade